The liver, the largest organ in the body, is essential in keeping the body functioning properly. It removes harmful substances from the blood, produces invulnerable operators to control spoiling, and evacuates germs and microscopic organisms from the blood. It makes proteins that control blood clotting and prepares bile to help retain fats and fat-dissolvable vitamins. You can’t live without a working liver. In cirrhosis of the liver, scar tissue trades typical, healthy tissue, hindering the stream of blood through the organ and preventing it from filling in as it might as well. Cirrhosis is the twelfth heading explanation for demise via disease, executing in the ballpark of 26,000 individuals every year.
Cirrhosis is an complication of many liver diseases that is characterized by irregular and capacity of the liver. The diseases that lead to cirrhosis do so on the grounds that they harm and execute liver cells, and the inflammation and repair that is connected with the expire liver units causes scar tissue to structure. The liver cells that don’t perish reproduce in an attempt to displace the units that have expired. This brings about bunches of recently structured liver cells (regenerative knobs) inside the scar tissue.
Stages of liver cirrhosis
- Stage 1 : The first stage of cirrhosis is characterised by the presence of inflammation, characterised by swelling. Additionally there may be also growth of abnormal connective tissues. These two factors Inflammation and abnormal connective tissues , Are confined to the portal area of the liver.
- Stage 2 : The second stage of cirrhosis is also characterised by inflammation, but fibrosis is also beginning to occur. fibrosis as the replacement of normal liver tissue with scar tissue. there are no symptoms at the stage of cirrhosis.
- Stage 3 : As cirrhosis progress, the damage to the liver becomes increasingly more severe.in this stage of cirrhosis, fibrosis forms bridges and is called bridging fibrosis, these bridges develop abnormal connections between hepatic artery, vein and other vessels that cause abnormal blood flow and increased pressure in liver. the increased blood pressure is called hepatic hypertension.(a condition which can cause further liver damage.
- Stage 4 : Stage 4 is the most advanced stage and the growth of the scar tissue has progressed to the point that it is not functioning normally. whereas the previous stages are not associated with symptoms. advanced stage cirrhosis has many symptoms, including bleeding in the digestive tract, jaundice, mental effect such as confusion, unusual sleepliness and slurring of speech, edema and intense and unexplained skin itching.
Signs & Symptoms
- Itchy skin
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
- Dark urine
- Upper right-sided abdominal tenderness
- Unexplained flu-like symptoms
Causes of Liver Cirrhosis
- Chronic hepatitis C
- Chronic hepatitis B and D
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Fat deposition in liver
- Certain Viruses
- Autoimmune hepatitis or liver diseases
- Inherited diseases
- Blocked bile ducts
- Toxic metals (such as iron and copper that accumulate in the liver as a result of genetic diseases)
- Drugs, toxins, and infections.
- Schistosomiasis, a malady caused by a parasite found within the Asia, Africa, and South America.
- Long-term or high-level exposure to bound chemicals and medicines, as well as arsenic, immune suppressant drug, deadly doses of vitamin A, and bound varieties of prescription medication.
- Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis
- Bleeding from esophageal varices
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Hepatorenal syndrome
- Hepatopulmonary syndrome
- Liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma
The main test from with the help of which can access liver problems are as follows:
- Aminotransferases –AST and ALT are moderately elevated, with AST > ALT. However, normal aminotransferases do not preclude cirrhosis.
- Alkaline phosphatase – usually slightly elevated.
- Gamma-glutamyl transferase – Correlates with AP levels. It is typically much higher in chronic liver disease from alcohol.
- Bilirubin – May elevate as cirrhosis progresses.
- Albumin – Levels fall as the synthetic function of the liver declines with worsening cirrhosis since albumin is exclusively synthesized in the liver.
- Prothrombin time – Increases since the liver synthesizes clotting factors.
- Globulins – increased due to shunting of bacterial antigens away from the liver to lymphoid tissue.
- Serum sodium – Hyponatremia due to inability to excrete free water resulting from high levels of ADH and aldosterone.
- Thrombocytopenia – Due to both congestive splenomegaly as well as decreased thrombopoietin from the liver. However, this rarely results in platelet count < 50,000/mL.
- Leukopenia and neutropenia – Due to splenomegaly with splenic margination.
- Coagulation defects – The liver produces most of the coagulation factors and thus coagulopathy correlates with worsening liver problems.
The following tests may be used to evaluate the liver :
- Ultrasound of the abdomen
- CT scan or MRI (MRCP) scan
- Endoscopy to check for abnormal veins in the esophagus or stomach
- Radioisotope liver/spleen scan
- A liver biopsy confirms cirrhosis. Some patients will be screened for liver cancer.
AYURVEDA CONCEPTS & MANAGEMENT
The liver is known as Yakrit in Ayurveda. Pitta is the predominant in all the three doshas in the liver. In almost all types of liver disorders are aggravated conditions of Pitta. Excessive bile production or a blockage in the flow of bile usually indicates high pitta, which in turn affects the agni or enzyme activities responsible for absorption, digestion and metabolism.
Kumbha Kamala is the classical description if cirrhosis of liver in Ayurveda.
|| Kaalantarath khareebhutah kruchrasyaat khumba kamala ||
It is a neglected or untreated stage of jaundice or hepatitis, when becomes chronic, produces dry or roughness to the Liver (kharathva or rookshatva). It can become incurable if not attended immediately.
We have a made a unique kit made up from Ayurvedic natural combinations. With the help of this the main sign and symptoms like jaundice, ascites begin to reduce from their peak level.
There are no reviews yet.